Department: Front Desk
Reports to: Rooms Manager or Front Desk Manager
The front desk is the first point of contact and the first impression for guests. The guest service agent’s primary responsibility is to project a warm, knowledgeable and helpful presentation to ensure guests they will have a great guest appearance. The guest service agent checks in and out guests efficiently, and ensures the guest’s needs are being met.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Greets and acknowledges guests in a friendly, cheerful and courteous manner at all times. Provide high quality customer service to both external and internal customers.
- Handles guest reservations including original reservation, changes, room blocking, group blocks, special requests and property to property reservations. Handles check-in, check-out, directions, questions and complaints.
- Operates switchboard by answering and transferring calls, directing phone calls to proper departments and assisting with messages. Promptly answers the telephone with a smile using proper etiquette.
- Responsible for posting charges for guests and in house accounts and balancing of daily transactions including but not limited to cash, credit card, adjustments and gift cards. Thoroughly understands and adheres to proper credit, check cashing and cash handling policies and procedures.
- issues keys to both guests and.staff member in accordance with security procedures.
- Works with technical equipment including computer programs, copier/fax machine, credit card processors and calculator.
- Must follow all hotel policies and procedures directly related to guests, end of night closeout procedures, balancing of days business activities on computer system; able to organize, plan and complete all assigned work within dedicated deadlines. Maintains the cleanliness and neatness of the front desk area.
- Communicates with other staff members/managers to ensure guest satisfaction. Notifies manager on duty of unusual occurrences or requests. Resolves all guest complaints in a professional and courteous manner.
- Coordinates room status updates (check-outs, late check-outs, early check-ins; special requests and part day rooms) with the housekeeping department. Coordinates with maintenance where work is needed. Has knowledge of room locations, types of rooms available, room rates and room status tracking.
- Prepares and completes all spreadsheets, reports and systems for the new day. Provides wake up calls to guests.
- Understands and adheres to company policy on confidentiality and privacy of guests, staff and company business.
- Assists in assuring that departmental supplies are stocked and available for guest or internal use.
- Assists in guest shuttle service and possible other errand runs as needed. • Follows established hotel safety and security procedures at all times. Immediately reports any health and safety incident, security breaches, concerns or suspicious behavior to the supervisor or manager on duty to maintain a secure and safe environment for employees and guests.
Qualifications and requirements
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Previous hotel experience desired and an accounting background preferred.
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 40 pounds and ability to push/pull medium to large weights/objects.
- Frequently handling objects and equipment.
- Frequently walking, climbing stairs, lifting and standing for periods of up to 4 hours.
- Able to work alone as well as being a team member with a professional image and communication skills.
- Basic reading and writing for communication while reading and responding to reservations and reports, etc.
- Math skills and ability to reconcile end of shift accounts, understanding the principals of auditing, balancing and closing out procedures.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with insurable driving record.
- Acquires working knowledge of the property to respond to guest questions effectively.
- Performs other duties as may be required within own department or for other departments.
- Communication skills used frequently when interacting with guests and employees.
- Must be able to clearly comprehend English and listen attentively.
- Have the ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and/or holidays.
The statements in this job description are intended to represent the key duties and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job. The job description offers no employment contract and the company reserves the right to terminate an employee at any time ‘at-will’ with or without cause.