Restaurant Reports to: Food & Beverage Manager
The host/hostess or cashier’s primary responsibility is to welcome guest and seat them at a dining table. This person must always present a positive attitude in a friendly, welcoming manner ensuring a high standard of service.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Greets customers in 30 seconds and no longer than 60 with a friendly, courteous and professional smile; acknowledging the guest by name when available, thanking him for his business and inviting him to return again.
- While seating the guest, inform the guest of specials while providing the guests with menus. Acknowledge children with a kids menu, colors and when needed provide a high chair &Jar booster seat.
- Demonstrates a commitment to provide exceptional guest service to our guests by complying with the company service standards. Follows proper etiquette and sanitation guidelines while serving and clearing tables.
- Maintains awareness of guests that are waiting to be seated are as comfortable as possible. Ensure that the wait times quoted are accurate and recommending a cocktail at the bar. If needed a waitlist will be used.
- Works as a team with all personnel in order to maintain an effective atmosphere and an efficient food and beverage service. Communicates with dining room staff or kitchen staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Maintains superior standards of quality, service and cleanliness in the restaurant and service areas. Consistently maintains a neat, organized and clean workspace and uniform. Completes daily/weekly duties as requested.
- Rotates seating assignments to ensure guests are evenly assigned for maximum guest service and wait staff fairness. Arranges parties or special services as requested, etc. Monitors dining room for guest satisfaction/needs.
- Promptly answers the phone, record reservations and communicates information to staff; smiling and friendly. Process to-go orders and room service orders; preparing the order, overseeing the preparation as needed, and processing the payment.
- Responsible for verifying cash drawer at the beginning of shift. At shift end completes check out and balancing procedures, delivers money bag to front desk and waits for verification of cash amount.
- Assures bussers are cleaning tables quickly and efficiently and wait staff are aware of new guests seated in their sections. Assist in setting of breakfast buffet/brunch for following morning. If needed assists bussers and/or wait staff to ensure guest needs are being met.
- Maintain sanitation and cleanliness standards in the dining area that meet or exceed company, federal, state or local health and safety standards.
- Follows established hotel safety and security procedures at all times. Immediately reports any health and safety incident, security breaches, concerns or suspicious behavior to the supervisor or manager on duty to maintain a secure and safe environment for employees and guests.
Qualifications and requirements
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Frequently handling objects and equipment.
- Frequently walking, climbing stairs, lifting and standing for periods of up to 4 hours.
- Able to work alone as well as being a team member.
- Basic reading and writing for communication while reading and responding to written banquet orders, etc.
- Math skills and ability to reconcile end of shift accounts, etc.
- Ability to pass Responsible Service of Alcohol Test with a score of 90% or better.
- Performs other duties as may be required within own department or for other departments.
- Communication skills used frequently when interacting with guests and employees.
- Must be able to clearly comprehend English and listen attentively.
- Basic computer skills.
- Have the ability to work a flexible schedule including 1st and 2nd shifts, weekends and/or holidays.
The statements in this job description are intended to represent the key duties and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job. The job description offers no employment contract and the company reserves the right to terminate an employee at any time ‘at-will’ with or without cause.