Reports to: Food & Beverage Manager
The line cooks primary responsibility is to prepare the kitchen for business. Taking care to prepare all food items as required during the work day and communicating tasks and working together with the prep cooks and dishwashers in order that the guests have a memorable experience.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for preparing all guest orders (dining room or banquets), both hot and cold items, soup, sandwiches and entrees all according to recipe specifications and quality standards to ensure consistency.
- Must be able to maintain and utilize knowledge of recipe specifications on a daily basis.
- Responsible for proper portion control, waste control and assist in inventory and receiving of orders.
- Organizes storage areas to ensure the quality of the food, implementing “first in, first out’ method of food rotations.
- Maintains all equipment and cooking utensils in good operating condition using proper sanitation guidelines.
- Must have a proper knowledge of temperature requirements for holding, re-heating and cooling of product to prevent food spoilage and food borne illness.
- Follows established hotel safety and security procedures at all times. Immediately reports any health and safety incident, security breaches, concerns or suspicious behavior to the supervisor or manager on duty to maintain a secure and safe environment for employees and guests.
- Maintain sanitation and cleanliness standards in the kitchen area that meet or exceed company, federal, state or local health and safety standards.
- Maintain a clean, neat and well-organized work area, including but not limited to reach-ins, walk-ins and counters.
- Greets and acknowledges guests in a friendly, cheerful and courteous manner at all times.
- Works as part of a team and communicates with other departments as per hotel procedures to ensure excellent quality and service.
- Plans and prepares items for following day if advance preparation is required. Checks inventory and notifies Chef as ne essary to ensure adequate quantity and quality product is available. • Completes all opening and closing checklists as required.
- May be required to wash dishes and perform cleaning duties as necessary.
Qualifications and requirements
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Must be at least 18 years if age.
- Carrying or lifting pots and pans weighing up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms.
- Frequently handling objects and equipment to maintain the facility.
- Frequently walking, reaching, bending, stooping, lifting and standing for periods of up to 4 hours.
- Able to work alone as well as being a team member.
- Able to work well under pressure in.a fast-paced environment.
- Acquires working knowledge of the property to respond to guest questions effectively.
- Performs other duties as may be required within own department or for other departments.
- Communication skills used frequently when interacting with guests and employees.
- Must be able to clearly comprehend English and listen attentively.
- Basic reading, writing, and math abilities are used often when reading recipes, monitoring inventory and other required documents.
- Have the ability to work a flexible schedule including 1st and 2″ shifts, weekends and/or holidays.
The statements in this job description are intended to represent the key duties and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job. The job description offers no employment contract and the company reserves the right to terminate an employee at any time ‘at-will’ with or without cause.