Reports to: Food & Beverage Manager
The prep cook’s primary responsibility is to assist the line cook and chef as required in preparation of all food and service. Other responsibilities include performing preliminary work in preparation of various meats and vegetables.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for all prep work done with baked goods, line items, event orders, caterings and all other necessary food requirements in addition to following designated prep list.
Must adhere to recipe specifications at all times when prepping all food items to ensure quality and consistency.
- Works carefully to minimize losses, due to breakage, over-portioning and waste.
- Prepares salads, dressings and relish trays of all types including hors d’oeuvres.
- Assist in presentation of food, portioning servings, plating and garnishing dishes prior to being served.
- Assist with setting up the line, caterings and events (possibly offsite).
- May perform some basic meat cutting and slicing.
- Organizes storage areas to ensure the quality of the food, implementing “first in, first out’ method of food rotations.
- Must have a proper knowledge of temperature requirements for holding, re-heating and cooling of product to prevent food spoilage and foodborne illness. Follows established hotel safety and security procedures at all times. Immediately reports any health and safety incident, security breaches, concerns or suspicious behavior to the supervisor or manager on duty to maintain a secure and safe environment for employees and guests.
- Maintain sanitation and cleanliness standards in the kitchen area that meet or exceed company, federal, state or local health and safety standards. • Greets and acknowledges guests in a friendly, cheerful and courteous manner at all times.
- Works as part of a team and communicates with other departments as per hotel procedures to ensure excellent quality and service.
- May be required to wash dishes and perform cleaning duties as necessary.
Qualifications and requirements
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Must be at least 18 years if age.
- Carrying or lifting pots and pans weighing up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms.
- Frequently handling objects and equipment to maintain the facility.
- Frequently walking, reaching, bending, stooping, lifting and standing for periods of up to 4 hours. • Able to work alone as well as being a team member. • Able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Acquires working knowledge of the property to respond to guest questions effectively.
- Performs other duties as may be required within own department or for other departments.
- Communication skills used frequently when interacting with guests and employees.
- Must be able to clearly comprehend English and listen attentively.
- Basic reading, writing, and math abilities are used often when reading recipes, monitoring inventory and other required documents.
- Have the ability to work a flexible schedule including ft and 2nd shifts, weekends and/or holidays.
The statements in this job description are intended to represent the key duties and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job. The job description offers no employment contract and the company reserves the right to terminate an employee at any time ‘at-will’ with or without cause.